Friday 2 December 2011

Chedworth (Airfield Walk)

When we arrived we parked up on a muddy lay-by and had a look for a geocache called the “The Bunker” we searched on both sides of the road, on one side of the road it was full of trenches going down about 3-4 foot. But in the end we couldn't find it. What we did find was the bunker the geocache was hinting ,to my mum went ahead of me because I had to put my walking boots on and she went down the stairs into the bunker and didn't go much further than the bottom step because it was flooded inside and then I had a look it is very eerie inside no light just darkness so we kept looking round outside and she found a hatch with an old  metal ladder going down in to it and it was dry at the bottom so I went in and she stayed out with the dogs. I went in and had a look round the turret there wasn't anything inside but I found it incredible because you can see a lot all around you through such small gaps. I took some photos from inside but my camera isn't very good the lens was a bit messy (Sorry for some of the bad quality photos). 
I walked out of the turret and walked to my right into the darkness but couldn't get very far because of the flooded floors but I took some photos from where I stood. I then climbed back out and we walked along the road towards the footpath we walked along the concrete towards the woods. Part way along the bridleway we saw some of the original concrete runway. We kept walking towards the forest and when we got inside we found it to be very muddy good thing I bought new walking boots. We walked a bit further and Floyd disappeared we shouted him for a while when he finally came back he was worn out so we had to turn back. Hearing the echo of us shouting sounded great it just went on for ages almost frightening and seeing the trees so high up in the sky. We got back to the car and drove home we went a different way back to the way we came and on the road back we saw the old building of RAF Chedworth and we might come back here in the summer to explore more. It is quite a distance to the woods but a short walk if you want to stick to a dry walk.
Google Maps: 51.81048,-1.93993 
Sat Nav: N 51 48.629 W 001 56.396















No comments:

Post a Comment